Haitian Kremas is an eggless Eggnog with a punchier flavor and a stinging alcoholic taste. It’s a tremendously popular beverage in Haiti, and many locals drink it during festivals or holidays. It adds a note of sweet flavor to a delicious dessert, so what more can you ask for?
How is Haitian Cremas Made?
Kremas or Cremasse or Cremas is a blend of rum, coconut cream, cinnamon, lemon, nutmeg, and a couple of other ingredients. It has a beige color because of the rum, with brown particles floating inside. Those are the cinnamon and grated nutmeg, two of the components that give Kremas its unique taste. Here is the complete list of ingredients of a Kremas Recipe:
- 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp of lime juice
- 1 tsp of anise star extract
- 1 tsp of almond extract
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of Barbancourt rum
- 1 can of coconut cream
But just giving you the ingredient list isn’t nearly enough. Making Haitian Kremas is a form of art, one we’ve successfully reinvigorated with a twist. There are many recipes out there, and most achieve similar results. But we dare say ours is better. Below, you’ll find a step-by-step guide on making Kremas properly:
- Pour the evaporated milk and sweetened milk into a large bowl. Stir until fully mixed
- Pour the coconut cream into the bowl and mix it with the milk.
- Add nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, anise star, and almond (not in this specific order). Now mix everything
- Now, you’ll need to thicken the mixture by adding lime juice. Taste before you do anything, though. After adding lime juice, mix it up, and have another taste
- Now comes the Barbancourt rum (or other brands), the very essence of Kremas. After adding it, mix everything right
- Leave the mixture alone for a couple of minutes. Now, the drink is ready to be savored so you can pour it into glasses
- We recommend adding ice cubes before pouring the Kremas. This beverage is a cold shake after all
You can find several YouTube videos explaining how to make Kremas the right way. Most of them use the same ingredients but they may add something else, a unique blend to spice things up. The essence lies in coconut cream, rum, cinnamon, and lime juice.
Serving Haitian Kremas
Haitian Cremas could be served as a cold beverage or room temperature, as refreshing and flavorful shake. A couple of ice cubes will go a long way to transforming this eggless eggnog into a culinary delight. It’s also a good idea to buy a 750-milliliter bottle so you can store the Kremas. This is the amount you’ll end up with by following this recipe. A funnel should help you pour the Kremas easily.
Kremas is the ideal beverage served alongside a dessert or other pastry, during a birthday celebration or holiday. It’s just the perfect type of alcoholic sweetness that’ll change your tune instantly. If it’s too sweet for you, add more ice cubes to dilute it a bit further. But if you’re a sweet tooth, then Kremas should be right up your alley.
If you’re preparing the Cremasse for your kids, then forego the rum. Put everything else besides the rum and prepare it as usual. It’s a delightful, sweet drink ready to blow your taste buds to smithereens. Combined with a slice of cake or another dessert, Haitian Kremas becomes simply unmatched!